Your due date is approaching, and it’s time to pack your hospital bag!
Are you wondering what to pack in your hospital bag for labor and beyond? We have listed the essentials you should gather together so there's no last-minute rush to fill a suitcase between contractions!
Packing your hospital bag can be a little daunting when you have no idea where to begin. Peace of mind goes a long way when you’re having a baby and entering this new chapter of your life as a parent. Having things in order can truly help to calm any jitters that you might be experiencing. Here are a few tips and tricks to get you on your way.
When should I start the packing?
You should aim to have your hospital bag well and truly packed by 36 weeks, just incase you go into labor before your babies due date.
What should I include?
For Mum to be:
- Comfortable loose fitting nightie and pyjamas
- A Dressing gown
- Comfortable, feeding friendly clothes (think oversized jumpers, tees. Loose fitting shirts and dresses that are easily accessible to your chest for skin-to-skin and breastfeeding) We love the Target Maternity range for breathable cotton clothes like this: Organic Cotton Nursing Tank or these Sleep Recovery wide pants from Cotton On. Be sure to check out their full range of Maternity wear.
- Loose underwear
- Maternity pads
- Nursing bras
- Nursing pads
- Nipple Balm - We adore this one: Willow Nipple Balm
- Phone and charger
- Your going home outfit
- Insurance information + License
- Medicare details for mum
- Birth plan
- Water bottle
- Installed car baby capsule. Our pick is to visit Baby Bunting, and have your capsule professionally installed by the experts.
- First blanket - Our favourite picks are these breathable, buttery soft, and cosy Blankets. 100% premium cotton Blanket
- Beanie (to keep head warm - especially if a c-section is needed or elected for, theatre can be quite cool)
- Have you already revealed the gender? These Gender Cards are a super sweet way to show if baby is a boy or girl.
- Going home outfit
- Cuddle cloth/comforter/security blanket like these Muslin Comforters
- Keepsake Pin (for protection and to treasure the memories) You can completely personalise one for you little love to be here: Create a Keepsake
- Onesies (Nobody tells you, but Zippy ones are the bomb! They are much easier than fiddling with buttons) We shop at Next and Bonds
- Nappies - Around 10 per day - We swear by these Eco and natural baby nappies: Tooshie Nappies
- Burping cloth
- Pack of wipes
- Nappy balm - Here's our pick: Calendula Nappy Change Cream
- Dry shampoo
- Mini shampoo and conditioner
- Lip balm
- Hand sanitiser
- Hair brush and hair ties
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
We know it can be a daunting task, but remember that in just a few short weeks your littlest love will be joining the family. Having things in order and organised is key as you enter this new and exciting chapter of welcoming your new precious baby into the world!